What is the Red Nose Clothing Collection & Recycling Program?
The Red Nose Clothing Collection & Recycling Program is a social enterprise run by Red Nose.
Every dollar we make is invested back into our programs to support families and save little lives.
Frequently asked questions
What items can I donate?
We accept the following items:
- Clothing and fashion accessories: shirts, dresses, shorts, coats, jackets, jumpers, pants, socks, sunglasses, shoes, scarves, ties and bowties, belts, bags, suitcases – literally any clothing items including women's, men's and children's.
- Linen and manchester: linen, towels, cushions, rugs, curtains, blankets, quilts and absolutely anything made from fabric.
- Homewares and bric-a-brac: vases, picture frames and paintings, lamps, ornaments, mirrors, books, DVDs, toys, games, jigsaws puzzles and board games.
- Kitchen equipment: pots, pans, crockery, utensils, cutlery, baking items, lunch boxes, plastic containers, and small appliances (like blenders, kettles, microwaves, toasters).
- Small furniture and electronics: coffee tables, TVs, CD and DVD players, vacuum cleaners, stereo equipment and video game consoles.
- Games and equipment: bikes, golf clubs, exercise equipment, car seats, prams.
If in doubt, please give us a call on 1300 473 366.
But please note that while we always appreciate your generosity, due to government regulations and other local restrictions, there are some items that we can't accept.
These include large furniture such as beds, mattresses, large white goods such as fridges and washing machines, food, paint and chemicals, or your rubbish!
How do I know when my bag was delivered?
If you are unsure when your bag was delivered or when it will collected, give us a call on 1300 473 366 and we will be able to help you out.
I’m worried my donation will be stolen. What can I do to prevent this?
Unfortunately, this does happen, diverting valuable resources away from our important work.
If you’re worried, you can leave your donation in a safe place on your property – just call us to let us know where you have left it at least 48 hours prior to collection day.
Our drivers cannot enter your property, garden, or driveway unless you have instructed them by calling us beforehand or booking a pick-up.
Should I still put my bag out for collection if it's going to rain?
Yes, please do!
Our drivers will collect your donation come rain or shine. However, because we don’t have the facilities for drying out donations that get wet, please double-bag your donation and tie it up very tightly or plastic-wrap your cardboard box to avoid water getting inside.
Alternatively, call us on 1300 473 366 and tell us where you will leave your donation out of the weather.
What time will you collect my donation?
We collect between 8am-6pm. Unfortunately, we can’t give you a more specific time.
I have too much stuff to fit in just one red bag. What do I do?
No problem! You can use any bag or box for your donation as long as you clearly label it, so our driver knows it is intended for Red Nose. Please ensure that all breakable items are well wrapped and packed carefully, so they don’t get broken in transit.
Can I drop off my donations at a collection point?
Yes! You can drop your donation off at our warehouses or directly to your nearest Savers store.
There are four easy ways to donate your pre-loved and unwanted items:
- Put your items in the big red bag and leave it next to your letterbox on the day written on your bag – you can also fill up other bags or boxes and leave them for collection next to your big red bag.
- Take your items directly to any Savers store in Adelaide or Savers Footscray in Melbourne.
- Drop your items into any big Red Nose charity bin or to our warehouses in Adelaide and Melbourne.
- Arrange a pick-up at your address – book online now or call us on 1300 473 366, and we’ll come to you.
What happens to my donations?
Your donations are sent to our retail partner, Savers, who sort through the items and then place them for sale in their retail stores in Adelaide and Melbourne. Most items go on sale within a few days of being donated to us.
If an item isn't suitable for re-sale, it is recycled and turned into other useful stuff.
Less than 5% of all donations are sent to landfill.
All items, including those that don't make it to the shop floor, generate money to fund our vital work for Aussie families.
Why do you work with Savers instead of having your own charity shops?
Savers is for-purpose company who operate discount stores in South Australia and Victoria selling pre-loved clothes and household items to thrifty and environmentally conscious customers.
Everything that is generously donated helps to generate vital income for Red Nose, whether it’s sold on the shop floor or recycled.
By working in partnership with Savers, Red Nose makes a huge saving on the costs of running our own retail stores. This allows us to do what we do best - support Aussie families - without the financial risk of owning/leasing and managing our own stores and retail staff.
Red Nose and Savers have a unique and mutually beneficial collaboration that not only benefits Red Nose, but also impacts the lives of hundreds of Australians who are employed by, or directly impacted by, the work that Savers stores do.
Find out more about the important community work Savers do.
Can you collect donations from my school or workplace?
Yes, we can! …. and sports clubs, businesses, kindergartens, student accommodation, aged care homes, and anyone else who would like to support Red Nose. You can book a pick-up using our online booking form or give us a call on 1300 473 366.
I’ve missed my suburb’s collection date. Will you still pick up my donation?
If we can, we will! But please call us on 1300 473 366, so we can arrange it, or you can book a pick-up at a time that's convenient for you using our online booking form.
Plastic isn’t good for the environment – why do you still use plastic bags?
Our red bags are fully recyclable – you can take them to any soft plastic recycling drop off point. We recommend Redcycle at participating supermarkets.
I'm interested in hosting a big Red Donation bin at my school, business or club.
Great, we'd love to hear from you! Call our team on 1300 473 366 or email email@example.com
I'm moving house and have a lot of stuff to donate, will you come to me?
Yes! Give us a call on 1300 473 366 or make a booking through our online booking form.